- Sara Revealed, SARA'S DISABILITY AND MENTAL HEALTH BLOG
- It is not easy being understood when you have a learning disability, or even making yourself heard. I am writing this blog to show how my disability affects my day-to-day life and what help & support I need. This blog is for those who learn and work in disability and mental health. I have lived with Disabilities and Mental Health problems for nearly 57 years since birth. I want to help others help others the same and similar to me.
Thursday, 5 March 2026
Introduction Why Easy Read Matters
Reading and understanding information should be
possible for everyone.
However, many people struggle to read books, forms,
websites, and important information. This includes people with:
Learning disabilities
Dyslexia
Autism
ADHD
Mental health difficulties
Poor eyesight
Low literacy
People learning English as a second language
Elderly people
For many years, information has often been written
using long sentences, difficult words, and small print. This can make reading
very difficult for many people.
Because of this, some people feel left out. They
may stop reading books, struggle with education, or find it hard to understand
important information about health, work, or everyday life.
My Personal Experience
Due to my dyslexia, I have struggled with reading
since childhood.
Many books were written with very small print and
long, complicated words. Often, I would look at a book and already know that I
would not be able to finish it.
For many years I believed I was alone in this
experience.
Later in life I realised that many other people
face the same problem. Some people with learning disabilities, dyslexia, or
other difficulties also struggle to read traditional books and information.
This means many people miss out on stories,
learning, and opportunities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sigmund Freud
It is a little odd that Freud himself never, except in conversation, used the term Thanatos for the death instinct, which has become so po...
No comments:
Post a Comment