My photo
It is not easy being understood when you have a learning disability, or even making yourself heard. I am writing this blog to show how my disability affects my day-to-day life and what help & support I need. This blog is for those who learn and work in disability and mental health. I have lived with Disabilities and Mental Health problems for nearly 57 years since birth. I want to help others help others the same and similar to me.

Monday, 21 September 2026

Disability naming and wording, what to use and what not to.

 

Person-First

Identity-First

Not Recommended

A person with a disability

disabled person

the disabled, cripple, victim, spastic, spaz, handicapped, the handicapped, abnormal, dumb/deaf-mute, defect, defective, midget, or vegetable

A person with an intellectual disability

intellectually disabled person

mental handicap, mentally retarded, or mentally handicapped

person with a mental health disability

mentally disabled person

mad, crazy, schizo, schizophrenic, insane, nuts, psycho, psychotic, demented, senile, loony, or lunatic

A person who uses a wheelchair

wheelchair user

wheelchair-bound or confined to a wheelchair

has… (diagnosis)

adjective form of diagnosis (i.e. ‘autistic’) person

suffers from… afflicted with… stricken with… or victim of…

 A person without a disability

not disabled or non-disabled

normal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disability naming and wording, what to use and what not to.

  Person-First Identity-First Not Recommended A person with a disability disabled person ...