Your idea of:
"You feel certain you can manage everything, like you can take on the world."
captures one possible experience of mania very well. During mania, a person may experience a very high or unusually elevated or irritable mood, increased energy, racing thoughts, increased activity, reduced need for sleep, rapid speech, and sometimes an inflated sense of confidence or ability.
Your "thoughts come too fast" description is particularly accessible:
Thought: "I've got an idea!"
Another thought: "And another one!"
Another thought: "I can do that too!"
It can feel as though the brain is moving much faster than usual.
⚠️ One important distinction
I'd avoid calling it simply "mania poles."
The term you're looking for is probably manic episode. In bipolar disorder, there can also be hypomanic episodes, which are similar but generally less severe than full mania.
And not everyone with bipolar disorder experiences a dramatic "take on the world" feeling. Mania can also involve irritability, agitation, poor judgment, impulsive decisions, or feeling overwhelmed.
🔄 The crash into depression
Your description of the contrast is powerful:
"Then suddenly we crash where we and our brains become tired."
I'd change "suddenly" because bipolar episodes don't necessarily switch instantly from one state to another. A person may move from mania or hypomania into depression, but the transition can vary considerably.
Your description of depression fits well with the idea of energy being depleted:
- feeling very tired
- sleeping much more than usual, or sometimes having disrupted sleep
- feeling slowed down
- difficulty concentrating
- difficulty thinking clearly
- losing motivation
- feeling low or hopeless
- losing interest in things
I especially like your phrase:
"The brain turns itself off."
I'd keep it as a metaphor, but explain that the brain isn't literally switching off.
For example:
It can feel as though the brain has turned itself off. Thinking becomes difficult, concentration becomes harder, and even simple decisions can feel exhausting.
That's much more scientifically accurate while preserving your powerful imagery.
One correction about sleep
You wrote:
"We spend a lot of time sleeping from spending a lot of time awake."
That can happen, but it isn't always the case.
During a depressive episode, someone may sleep much more than usual, but another person may experience insomnia or difficulty staying asleep.
Likewise, during mania, the important point isn't necessarily that someone simply stays awake because they can't sleep. A person may have a reduced need for sleep and still feel unusually energetic.
That's an important distinction:
Insomnia:
"I want to sleep, but I can't."
Reduced need for sleep during mania:
"I only slept a few hours, but I don't feel like I need more."
🌗 Your "two sides" metaphor
This could become a really effective section in your book:
Mania/Hypomania
"I can do anything."
"I have so many ideas."
"I don't need much sleep."
"Everything is possible."
⬇️
Depressive episode
"I can't do anything."
"Everything feels exhausting."
"I want to sleep."
"I can't think clearly."
"Nothing seems worthwhile."
But the important message is that bipolar disorder isn't simply someone being extremely happy and then extremely sad. It involves significant episodes of mood, energy, activity, thinking and behaviour that are different from the person's usual functioning.
That distinction will be important in your book because it also connects nicely with your previous section on ADHD versus bipolar disorder. ADHD can involve ongoing difficulties with attention and impulse regulation, whereas bipolar disorder involves distinct mood episodes.
No comments:
Post a Comment